" felt the Maceio program was well-organized. Academically, the staff was well-prepared to respond to the unique needs of a diverse student group. The majority of the students were from the U.S., but there were also several European students as well as a few Asian students."
Student. Oklahoma City, OK.
Medical Program in Macieo, Brazil
is one of the largest countries in South America and is noted for it's natural beauty and fascinating culture.
Maceio is the capital of the state of Alagoas, in northeastern Brazil, with a population of approximately 325,000 people. Situated below low bluffs between the Atlantic Ocean and the Norte (or Mundaú) Lagoon, Maceio has a great outdoor market of local crafts ranging from dresses and t-shirts to handmade jewelry and hammocks. The city also offers a number of bars and discotheques, both on the beach and in the city, with live or recorded Brazilian music. The city organizes a number of famous street parties such as Maceio Fest (an out-of-season carnival in November) and, of course, the traditional Carnival in February.
Group Medical Portuguese & Volunteer Program
The Medical Program in Brazil is a 4-week specialist program developed by Maceio Language Institute in partnership with the Hospital-Escola de Doenças Tropicais de Alagoas (Hospital-School of Tropical Diseases of Alagoas).
Combining Portuguese language classes, Medical vocabulary with an emphasis on Tropical Diseases, and a 2-week hospital visit and volunteer program, this course provides participants with the tools necessary to experience first-hand the issues dealing with Brazilian Medicine.
The goal of the Medical Program is improving the students’ knowledge of Portuguese language and Brazilian culture while developing those skills required for Doctor–Patient relationships as well as other Medical procedures. This course is geared towards healthcare professionals and students of medicine, nursing, etc.
The study material of the program was carefully developed from medical reports of current case studies occurring at the Hospital-Escola de Doencas Tropicais de Alagoas. The material includes subjects such as:
- General medical vocabulary - Doctor-Patient relationship - Tropical diseases (Dengue, Febre Amarela, Malária) - Human Body (in General, Head and Mouth, intern organs)
Classes are held at school by a doctor-Infectologist, specializing in Tropical Diseases. As part of the program’s course material, students receive a personalised, comprehensive Portuguese-English dictionary of Medical Vocabulary.
The hospital visits and volunteer opportunities are held at the Hospital-Escola de Doencas Tropicais and students take part as student-observers. Foreign students have the opportunity to meet and interact with local university students who attend classes at the hospital as part of their curriculum. Furthermore, while learning, they can make friendships and exchange knowledge and experiences.
A basic-to-intermediate Portuguese level is required of students interested in applying for this program. However students who do not have this level of Portuguese just need to take a 2-week General Portuguese course in order to be proficient enough to join a group for Medical Programs.
HOMESTAYS include living with a Brazilian family to experience the day-to-day lifestyle and practice Portuguese with your host family. Families are carefully selected, ensuring a clean and comfortable home, a single, private bedroom and convenient location to the school. Hot running water is available in most homestays.
2 meals daily (café da manha and jantar) are included in the homestay. Rice and beans are a dietary staple, as is fruit and meat. For lunch, there are many "self-service" restaurants with excellent food charged by the kilo.
Double rooms may only be booked by two students traveling together.
MACEIO HOTELS - Ranging from budget to deluxe, Maceio's hotels are conveniently located within 20 minutes walking from the school, directly across from the ocean. Breakfast included in the price. This option is available upon request and at additional cost.
POUSADAS - Small, inexpensive hotels located 10 minutes walking from the school. Rooms are clean with private bathroom and television. Air conditioning also available. Breakfast included in the price. This option is available upon request and at additional cost.
APARTMENTS - Fully furnished apartments with one up to three bedrooms, convenient located, within walking distance from the school and across the beach. This option is available upon request and at additional cost.
An arrival transfer from the Maceio airport to the lodging address is included in the price of the program. Arrival details need to be communicated to NRCSA in advance.
A special program of activities is incorporated into the weekly schedule. Everything from walking tours of the city to excursions outside of the city on the weekends. (See sample schedule above).
- 20 hrs/week Group general & medical Portuguese - 20 hrs/week Volunteer service in hospital (2 week period). - 5 hrs/week Activities. - Homestay lodging in single room. - Two meals daily. (Breakfast & Dinner) - Orientation (covering attractions, how to, health safety, entertainment) - Academic Assessment (placement-exit tests, achievement certificate) - International Emergency & Medical Insurance - Emergency Hotline Staffed 24/hrs day (call collect anywhere in the world) - Arrival transfer from airport to lodging address. - Weekend activities and excursions. - Course materials. - Visa invitation letter ( VISA REQUIRED for travel in Brazil)
The Medical Program in Brazil is a 4-week specialist program developed by Maceio Language Institute in partnership with the Hospital-Escola de DoenÃ§as Tropicais de Alagoas (Hospital-School of Tropical Diseases of Alagoas). Combining Portuguese language classes, Medical vocabulary with emphasis on Tropical Diseases and a 2-week hospital visits and volunteer, this course provides its participants with essential issues so that they may turn into the reality of Brazilian Medicine.
MORE DETAILS ...
The NRCSA Center in Maceio is devoted to providing high quality, personalized language instruction, specializing in Portuguese for non-Brazilians, English and Spanish for Brazilians and students from other exchange countries.
All teachers are professional and experienced native instructors, university graduated and trained in the school's direct approach to language teaching. They are from various parts of Brazil, allowing for exposure to different accents, expressions and styles of teaching.
While studying in either Maceio or Sao Paulo, students can take advantage of the following services: • Business Center - Business center facilities with free use of Internet, computer, printer and fax are at the student's disposal. • Currency Exchange - The school can exchange U.S. dollars in the form of traveler's checks, cash, and personal checks. For other currencies and monetary systems, they may be able to assist students. The process requires approximately 24 hours to complete the transaction. • Mail Service - Personal mail can be sent and received by students.
• No maximum age. Minimum age is 18 (often waived if accompanied by an adult). • Location: Suburbs • Size: varies considerably by season. The 'average' is under 25 foreign students. • Medical: school refers students if needed (medical costs additional). See below for information regarding insurance. • Arrival airport transfers are included if flights advised 30 days prior arrival. • Vacations: no class make-up on National, Regional, or local holidays.
• Foreign language classes are taught entirely in the foreign language (immersion method). • All levels are welcome (beginner to advanced) unless otherwise specified above. • Levels: placement tests are used. If there is no full group at your level, smaller group or tutor may be given with fewer hours per week. • Tutor means one-on-one class (private teacher). Shared tutor means two-on-one. • Students/class is maximum people per class ... which may be exceeded by 1-2 persons due to level placement. • School is popular with business and medical professionals seeking accelerated and special vocabulary classes. • Texts and materials are included in cost. • Class-hour is 45 to 60 minutes (Most universities use a 50 minute hour).
Lodging & Meals
• Accommodation address given upon arrival. • Lodging ends day after last day of class. Begins the day prior to start of class. • Meals: See 'cost includes' above for which meals included. (2 meals means breakfast and dinner) • In homestays, meal times and content will vary.
Cultural Program & Activities
• Excursions average 1-2 monthly. • Weekly cultural lectures or activities (included). • Some entrance fees/bus fares may be additional.
• Lodging/daycare available at additional cost. • School favored by families traveling with children.
• 24 Hour Emergency Multilingual Hotline (call collect from anywhere in the world) • $25,000 Emergency Medical Evacuation • $10,000 Accident or Sickness ($100 deductible per claim) • $5,000 Emergency Reunion • See policy for definitions and exclusions • Increased insurance coverages available on request and at additional cost. Please inquire with NRCSA at least 3 weeks prior to departure.