Located in Bavaria about halfway between Munich and Nuernburg, Regensburg has retained a medieval atmosphere in its streets and buildings. Of special interest in the old city is the Stone Bridge that was built in the 12th century, and the Palace of the Dukes of Thurn and Taxis. Regensburg is also famous for its Boys Choir. The school is located in the historic center of Regensburg. The location provides easy access to the many attractions of the old city.
The best view of Regensburg's medieval skyline is from the twelfth-century Steinerne Brücke, which was the only safe and fortified crossing along the entire length of the Danube at the time it was built, and thus had tremendous value for the city as a trading centre. Perhaps the finest of Regensburg's merchant and patrician houses are to be seen on the Haidplatz. The largest building on the square is the Haus zum Goldenen Kreuz, where Emperor Charles V and Barbara Blomberg fathered their son, John of Austria, who was born in 1547 and died governor of the Netherlands in 1578. The nearby Thon-Dittmer Palais is one of the main cultural venues, concerts and plays being held in its courtyard in summer. A few minutes' walk away, the Neupfarrplatz is the centre of Regensburg's commercial life.